Rhyl & District Musical Theatre Company

Location Rhyl
Contact Tomas Foulkes - treasurer.radmtc@gmail.com
Rehearsal Venue The Operatic Centre, 114 Vale Road, Rhyl, Clwyd, LL18 2PD

Originally formed in 1938 under the name "Rhyl & District Amateur Operatic Society", the "Rhyl & District Musical Theatre Company" comprises of members from all walks of life from the community around the Rhyl area in North Wales, who all share a passion for performance.

The first show that was put on after that meeting in 1938 was again H.M.S Pinafore, performed at Easter 1939, the MD was Stanley Roose.  (Mr Roose  was also part of the cast of H.M.S Pinafore in 1914.)  This was followed by the Mikado in 1940.   The Society then suspended its activities until the end of World War 2 when, in 1945, H.M.S. Pinafore was chosen again as the most suitable for victory celebrations.

In 1966 the Society bought the derelict St. Anne’s School on Vale Road for their headquarters and rehearsal rooms.  As the Society was celebrating their 25th Anniversary in 1973, they learned of the impending closure of their beloved Pavilion Theatre.

The Society performed at the Gaiety Theatre for the next four years and then the Coliseum Theatre for a further fourteen years.  In 1991 they were off again, this time to the New Pavilion Theatre, where they still receive a warm welcome and enjoy superb facilities.  In 2008 the Society changed its name to “Rhyl and District Musical Theatre Company”.   The Company’s aim is to bring the enjoyment of live Theatre to the community and to promote and cultivate the Arts.