Pamela Rudge trained at the Royal College of Music and now combines a busy singing life with working at Bristol Old Vic Theatre School, where she became the full time Singing Tutor in 2003 and then Head of Music & Singing in 2008. Her students there enjoy great singing success, not least in the Stephen Sondheim Student Performer of the Year Competition, with 12 Finalists in 9 years of entering the competition, including 2 winners and 3 runners-up.
Pamela is a versatile mezzo soprano, singing opera, light opera, oratorio, concert and recital work, with a wide repertoire from early music to contemporary composers. She has performed in concert halls, theatres and cathedrals throughout the UK and in France, Germany, Holland, Zimbabwe and Mali. Most recently she sang in the premiere of Eric Wetherell's opera "A Foreign Field", creating the role of Marie Coulette, a formidable pipe-smoking granny, for which she achieved much critical acclaim. She has worked as a soloist on Radios 3 & 4, and for HTV.
She has conducted many musical theatre shows, most notably "London Road" at Bristol Old Vic Studio.
Pamela adjudicates music festivals, and also runs vocal workshops and singing courses for theatre companies and singing groups.
Session: What’s New on the West End (Musical Theatre) sponsored by Samuel French Ltd
“It only takes a taste when it’s something special.” – Waitress
Are you a performer looking for an opportunity to explore the wealth of fantastic material emerging in the West End?
Would you like to develop your practical performance skills in the singing, dancing and acting?
Do you want to sing and stage brand new work from an innovative range of musical styles including Come From Away, Waitress, Heathers, Eugenius, Everyone’s Talking About Jamie, Dear Evan Hanson
Then we have the perfect offer for you…
Using the music from the most recent musical theatre from the West End stage as inspiration, during the week you will:
- work as an ensemble and in smaller groups to explore and perform inspirational music from these shows.
- look at how companies prepare for performance and understand the challenging requirements of both the rehearsal room and the stage including character research, storytelling, focus, team work and discipline
- explore dynamics, harmony and vocal technique working with an expert MD
- work on acting through song, interpretation of lyric, and character
- challenge your skills in singing, acting, dance and creating a believable world on the stage
This course is aimed at experienced singers, dancers and actors.